What is a dental implant?
If you have missing or badly decayed teeth, then you should consider getting dental implants. You should also consider getting dental implants if you are currently wearing dentures or a dental bridge.
A dental implant is a surgical fixture placed in the jawbone. Your real tooth has a root. A dental implant is an artificial root that integrates in your jawbone and acts just like your real tooth’s root. A dental crown is then placed on top of the implant. Dental implants act just like your real teeth in form and function. You can bite and chew your food the same way you do with your natural teeth. The self-confidence that comes with getting dental implants will significantly improve your quality of life. They can last a lifetime if you brush and floss regularly just like you would your natural teeth.
It is especially important to replace the missing tooth with dental implants rather than dentures. Dental implants stimulate the bone in your jaw. If your jawbone is not stimulated by a ‘root’ your jawbone will disintegrate gradually. Making you look years older and affecting your health.
Also, if your tooth is not replaced by a new tooth your surrounding teeth will shift altering the alignment of your bite thereby causing tooth decay and gum disease.
People consider dental implants for the following reasons:
- When tooth decay is so severe it cannot be repaired by a dental crown/dental veneer/dental filling.
- After a dental trauma such as a car accident or falling.
- Those using a dental bridge that is affecting the health of the surrounding teeth causing them discomfort and jawbone deterioration.
- A patient who no longer wants to wear dentures
- Denture wearers usually switch to dental implants due to the long-term cost savings associated with dental implants and the improved quality of life that dental implants provide. Being able to bite and chew your food again, improved speech, laughing without worrying about your denture falling out, never having to clean the dentures by removal and jawbone restoration are one of the main reasons for the switch. Your new appearance and your self-worth are another added advantage.
Basically, anyone who is considering or has a dental bridge or denture is a candidate for dental implants.
Dental implant prices start from R10 000 per tooth.